|CS21002 Switching Circuits and Logic Design
CS29002 Switching Laboratory
|Spring 2016||L-T-P: 3-1-0
EndSem answer scripts to be shown on 11-May-2016 (Wednesday) at 5:00pm in Crypto Lab (Top floor of CSE Annex Building)
GradesTheory (Updated after tabulation rechecking)
[Use course numbers to open]
ScheduleInstructors: Abhijit Das and Debdeep Mukhopadhyay
Theory: Wed(12:00–12:55), Thurs(11:00–11:55) [Tutorial], Fri(09:00–10:55) at NR223
Lab: Mon(14:00–16:55) at Hardware Lab (CSE Annex Building)
Teaching Assistants: Debapriya Basu Roy, Malay Pramanick, Pallavi Mitra, Pritam Bhattacharya, Poulami Das, Rajorshee Raha, Sarani Bhattacharya
- Introduction: Logic design, transistors as switches, CMOS gates, sequential circuits, some examples.
- Digital Systems: Representation of numbers, binary codes, Gray code, error-detecting and error-correcting codes, registers, binary logic, basic logic gates.
- Boolean Algebra: Boolean operations, Boolean functions, algebraic manipulations, minterms and maxterms, sum-of-products and product-of-sum representations, two-input logic gates, functional completeness.
- Minimization of Boolean Functions: Karnaugh map, don't-care conditions, prime implicants, Quine–McCluskey technique, NAND/NOR circuits, introduction to Verilog.
- Combinational Circuits: Adder, subtractor, multiplier, comparator, decoders, encoders, multiplexers, demultiplexers, Verilog models of combinational circuits.
- Synchronous Sequential Circuits: Finite-state machines, latches and flip-flops (SR, D, JK, T), synthesis of clocked sequential circuits, Mealy and Moore machines, state minimization, Verilog models of sequential circuits.
- Registers and Counters: Registers and shift registers, sequential adders, binary and BCD ripple counters, synchronous counters
- Algorithmic State Machines: ASM charts, ASM blocks, controller and data-path design
- Asynchronous Sequential Circuits: Analysis and synthesis, static and dynamic hazards, elimination of hazards
- The world of bits
- Algebra of bits
- Make it small
- Combinational circuit design
- Synchronous sequential circuits
- Asynchronous sequential circuits
- Verilog basics
- Combinational circuits and Verilog
- Synchronous sequential circuits and Verilog
- Data path
- Control path
- Finite state machines
Lab AssignmentsModule A: Boolean logic and combinational logic circuits
Module B: CMOS characteristics
Module C: Sequential circuits and finite state machines
Module D: Verilog programming
Module E: Pulse circuits
Module Number Topic Date Link A 1 Combinational circuit design with NAND/NOR gates 11–Jan–2016 Click here B 1 CMOS inverter characteristics 18–Jan–2016 Click here A 2 Combinational circuit design with gates and arithmetic blocks 25–Jan–2016 Click here D 1 Combinational circuit design with Verilog 08–Feb–2016 Click here C 1 Flip-flop design 07–Mar–2016 Click here C 2 Sequential circuit design 21–Mar–2016 Click here D 2 Sequential circuit design with Verilog 28–Mar–2016 Click here E 1 Astable and monostable multivibrators with 555 chip [Tutorial] 04–Apr–2016 Click here C 3 Lab Test (Sequential circuit design) 12–Apr–2016 Session 1
Switching Lab Datasheets
Books and References
- M. Morris Mano and Michael D. Ciletti, Digital Design: With an Introduction to the Verilog HDL, 5th Edition, Pearson Education, 2013.
- Zvi Kohavi and Niraj K. Jha, Swithcing and Finite Automata Theory, 3rd Edition, Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Randy H. Katz and Gaetano Borriello, Contemporary Logic Design, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2005.
- Joseph Cavanagh, Digital Design and Verilog HDL Fundamentals, CRC Press, 2008.
- Samir Palnitkar, Verilog HDL: A Guide to Digital Design and Synthesis, Sunsoft Press, 1996.
- Douglas J. Smith, HDL Chip Design: A Practical Guide for Designing, Synthesizing and Simulating ASICs & FPGAs Using VHDL or Verilog, Doone Publications, 1998.
- Jacob Millman and Herbert Taub, Pulse, Digital and Switching Waveforms, 3rd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2011.
- Herbert Taub and Donald L. Schilling, Digital Integrated Circuits, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2008.