I am a faculty member (since April 2013) in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at IIT Kharagpur, India. Prior to that, I worked briefly (Aug. 2012-March 2013) with Samsung Electronics, Noida as a Chief Engineer. I received my Ph.D in Computer Science & Engineering from IIT Kharagpur under the supervision of Prof. Niloy Ganguly and Prof. Sujoy Ghose. I did my first postdoc (May 2010-June 2011) at the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), Paris, France and second postdoc (July 2011-July 2012) at the Universite catholique de Louvain (UCL), Belgium.
I am also associated with the Complex Networks Research Group (CNeRG), IIT Kharagpur, India.
My research interests include
- Network science, Multilayer networks
- Social networks, Data science, Anomaly detection
- Mobile affective computing, Socio-mobile applications
- Crowdsensing, Social-IoT
- Peer-to-Peer networks
- Optical networks
Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
West Bengal, India, 721302.
Email : bivas [AT] cse.iitkgp.ac.in, bivasmitra [AT] gmail.com
- Rohit Verma successfully defended his Ph.D thesis on June 1, 2020. Congratulations Rohit!
- New (short) paper in ICWSM 2020: "On the Splitting Dynamics of Meetup Social Groups" with Microsoft.
- Surjya Ghosh successfully defended his Ph.D thesis on Feb 17, 2020. Congratulations Surjya!
- New paper (Late-Breaking Work) in CHI 2020: "Towards Improving Emotion Self-report Collection using Self-reflection" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- New paper in IEEE Percom 2020: "Detecting Mobility Context over Smartphones using Typing and Smartphone Engagement Patterns".
- New paper in IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems: "A Smartphone-based Passenger Assistant for Public Bus Commute in Developing Countries".
- New paper in WSDM 2020: "LouvainNE: Hierarchical Louvain Method for High Quality and Scalable Graph Embedding" with UPMC Paris and University of La Rochelle, France.
- Organizing International Workshop on Smart Sensing and Doctoral Symposium jointly with ICDCN 2020, Kolkata, Jan 2020. Submit your papers!
- Subhendu Khatuya successfully defended his MS thesis on July 4, 2019. Congratulations Subhendu!
- New (short) paper in ACII 2019: "Representation Learning for Emotion Recognition from Smartphone Keyboard Interactions" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- Organizing IndoSys 2019 at IISc Bangalore in July 2019. Submit your papers!
- Soumajit Pramanik successfully defended his Ph.D thesis on June 4, 2019. Congratulations Soumajit!
- Our Edited Book Volume "Dynamics On and Of Complex Networks III: Machine Learning and Statistical Physics Approaches", Published by Springer Nature.
- New paper in International Journal of Human-Computer Studies: "Emotion Detection from Touch Interactions during Text Entry on Smartphones" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- New paper in IEEE TKDE: "Deep Learning driven Venue Recommender for Event-based Social Networks" with Microsoft.
- New paper in IEEE Transactions on Computational Social Systems: "Temporal Sequence of Retweets Help to Detect Influential Nodes in Social Networks" with University of Namur and Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium.
- New paper in IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing: "Designing An Experience Sampling Method for Smartphone based Emotion Detection" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- New paper in Computer Communications: "Listen to Me, My Neighbors or My Friend? Role of Complementary Modalities for Predicting Business Popularity in Location Based Social Networks".
- New paper in IEEE Percom 2019: "Avoiding Stress Driving: Online Trip Recommendation from Driving Behavior Prediction".
- Received NetApp Faculty Fellowship (NFF). Media coverage here.
- New paper in PAKDD 2019: "On the Network Embedding in Sparse Signed Networks".
- New (short) paper in ACM IUI 2019: "Does Emotion Influence the Use of Auto-suggest during Smartphone Typing?" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- New paper in IEEE TMC: "GroupSense: A Lightweight Framework for Group Identification".
- New paper in ICWSM 2019: "On the Migration of Researchers across Scientific Domains" with Northeastern University, USA.
- New paper in IEEE BigData 2018: "Constructing Influence Trees from Temporal Sequence of Retweets: An Analytical Approach".
- New (short) paper in ACM SIGSPATIAL 2018: "Mining Spatio-temporal Data for Computing Driver Stress and Observing Its Effects on Driving Behavior".
- Two poster papers in ACM MobiCom 2018.
- Organizing Doctoral Symposium@ICDCN 2019, Bangalore, Jan 2019. Submit your proposals!
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks XI (DOOCN 2018), A satellite workshop of CCS 2018, Thessaloniki, Greece, Sep 2018.
- New paper in IEEE GLOBECOM 2018 : "An Unsupervised Model for Detecting Passively Encountering Groups from WiFi Signals".
- New paper in ACM RecSys 2018: "ComfRide: A Smartphone based System for Comfortable Public Transport Recommendation".
- New paper in Journal of Data Science and Analytics: "Easy-Mention: A Model Driven Mention Recommendation Heuristic to Boost Your Tweet Popularity" with University of La Rochelle and UPMC Paris, France.
- New paper in PAKDD 2018: "GBTM: Graph Based Troubleshooting Method for Handling Customer Cases Using Storage System Log" with NetApp.
- New paper in IEEE INFOCOM 2018: "ADELE: Anomaly Detection from Event Log Empiricism" with NetApp.
- Open Positions: Ph.D/MS positions are available in the areas of (1) Complex networks/Social networks (mostly theoretical/analytical and real data driven research) and (2) Mobile Systems (mostly experimental research). Highly motivated candidates with strong academic background (B.E./B. Tech with high CGPA, preferably with an M.E./M.Tech in CS) are encouraged to contact for the positions (drop me a CV).
- Internship: I do not encourage students to spend their second year vacations doing summer projects. So do not expect any response from me. Third year students, if you are interested, apply via link . Please do not send me any mail, neither expect any reply. The staff responsible for that will send you a reply in due time.