I am an Assistant Professor (since April 2013) in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at IIT Kharagpur, India. Prior to that, I worked briefly (Aug. 2012-March 2013) with Samsung Electronics, Noida as a Chief Engineer. I received my Ph.D in Computer Science & Engineering from IIT Kharagpur under the supervision of Prof. Niloy Ganguly and Prof. Sujoy Ghose. I did my first postdoc (May 2010-June 2011) at the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), Paris, France and second postdoc (July 2011-July 2012) at the Universite catholique de Louvain (UCL), Belgium.
I am also associated with the Complex Networks Research Group (CNeRG), IIT Kharagpur, India.
My research interests include
- Network science, Multilayer networks
- Social networks, Data science, Anomaly detection
- Mobile affective computing, Socio-mobile applications
- Crowdsensing, Social-IoT
- Peer-to-Peer networks
- Optical networks
Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
West Bengal, India, 721302.
Email : bivas [AT] cse.iitkgp.ernet.in, bivas_mitra [AT] yahoo.com
- New paper in IEEE BigData 2018: "Constructing Influence Trees from Temporal Sequence of Retweets: An Analytical Approach".
- New (short) paper in ACM SIGSPATIAL 2018: "Mining Spatio-temporal Data for Computing Driver Stress and Observing Its Effects on Driving Behavior".
- Two poster papers in ACM MobiCom 2018.
- Organizing Doctoral Symposium@ICDCN 2019, Bangalore, Jan 2019. Submit your proposals!
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks XI (DOOCN 2018), A satellite workshop of CCS 2018, Thessaloniki, Greece, Sep 2018.
- New paper in IEEE GLOBECOM 2018 : "An Unsupervised Model for Detecting Passively Encountering Groups from WiFi Signals".
- New paper in ACM RecSys 2018: "ComfRide: A Smartphone based System for Comfortable Public Transport Recommendation".
- New paper in Journal of Data Science and Analytics: "Easy-Mention: A Model Driven Mention Recommendation Heuristic to Boost Your Tweet Popularity" with University of La Rochelle and UPMC Paris, France.
- New paper in PAKDD 2018: "GBTM: Graph Based Troubleshooting Method for Handling Customer Cases Using Storage System Log" with NetApp.
- New paper in IEEE INFOCOM 2018: "ADELE: Anomaly Detection from Event Log Empiricism" with NetApp.
- New paper in ACM SIGSPATIAL 2017: "Smart-phone based Spatio-temporal Sensing for Annotated Transit Map Generation".
- New paper in Social Network Analysis and Mining: "Modeling Cascade Formation in Twitter amidst Mentions and Retweets" with University of La Rochelle and Telecom ParisTech, France.
- New paper in IEEE DSAA 2017: "Discovering Community Structure in Multilayer Networks" with University of La Rochelle and UPMC Paris, France.
- New paper in ACII 2017: "Evaluating Effectiveness of Smartphone Typing as an Indicator of User Emotion" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- Offering a course on Smartphone Computing & Application (CS60009) in Autumn 2017.
- New paper in Pervasive and Mobile Computing: "Evolution of Superpeer Topologies --- An Analytical Perspective".
- Ayan Bhowmick won the Best Student Paper Award at IEEE MDM 2017, KAIST, Daejeon, South Korea, May 2017.
- New (short) paper in ASONAM 2017: "Temporal Pattern of (Re)tweets Reveal Cascade Migration" with Universite catholique de Louvain and University of Namur, Belgium.
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks X (DOOCN 2017), A satellite workshop of NetSci 2017, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2017.
- New paper in MobileHCI 2017: "TapSense: Combining Self-Report Patterns and Typing Characteristics for Smartphone based Emotion Detection" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- New poster paper in IEEE MDM 2017: "UDAT: User Discrimination using Activity-Time Information"
- New paper in IEEE MDM 2017: "Effect of Information Propagation on Business Popularity: A Case Study on Yelp"
- Offering a course on Complex Networks (CS60078) in Spring 2017.
- New (short) paper in ACM SIGSPATIAL 2016: "Unsupervised Annotated City Traffic Map Generation"
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks IX (DOOCN 2016), A satellite workshop of CCS 2016, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 2016.
- New paper in IEEE DSAA 2016: "On the Role of Mentions on Tweet Virality" with University of La Rochelle and UPMC Paris, France.
- New paper in ASONAM 2016: "Can I Foresee the Success of my Meetup Group?" with Microsoft.
- New paper in MobiSys 2016 workshop WPA: "Margdarshak: A Mobile Data Analytics based Commute Time Estimator cum Route Recommender".
- New paper in MobiSys 2016 workshop IoT of Health: "SleepSensei - An Automated Sleep Quality Monitor and Sleep Duration Estimator".
- New short paper in ICWSM 2016: "Predicting Group Success in Meetup" with Microsoft.
- New paper in IEEE INFOCOM 2016: "UrbanEye: An Outdoor Localization System for Public Transport".
- Organizing Eighth IEEE International Workshop on Network Science for Communication Networks (NetSciCom), Jointly with IEEE INFOCOM 2016, San Fransisco, CA, USA, April 2016. Submit your paper!
- Open Positions: Ph.D/MS positions are available in the areas of (1) Complex networks/Social networks (mostly theoretical/analytical and real data driven research) and (2) Mobile Networks (mostly experimental research). Highly motivated candidates with strong academic background (B.E./B. Tech with high CGPA, preferably with an M.E./M.Tech in CS) are encouraged to contact for the positions (drop me a CV).
- Internship: I do not encourage students to spend their second year vacations doing summer projects. So do not expect any response from me. Third year students, if you are interested, apply via link . Please do not send me any mail, neither expect any reply. The staff responsible for that will send you a reply in due time.