I am an Assistant Professor (since April 2013) in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at IIT Kharagpur, India. Prior to that, I worked briefly (Aug. 2012-March 2013) with Samsung Electronics, Noida as a Chief Engineer. I received my Ph.D in Computer Science & Engineering from IIT Kharagpur under the supervision of Prof. Niloy Ganguly and Prof. Sujoy Ghose. I did my first postdoc (May 2010-June 2011) at the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), Paris, France and second postdoc (July 2011-July 2012) at the Universite catholique de Louvain (UCL), Belgium.
I am also associated with the Complex Networks Research Group (CNeRG), IIT Kharagpur, India.
My research interests include
- Network science, Multilayer networks
- Social networks, Data science, Anomaly detection
- Mobile affective computing, Socio-mobile applications
- Crowdsensing, Social-IoT
- Peer-to-Peer networks
- Optical networks
Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
West Bengal, India, 721302.
Email : bivas [AT] cse.iitkgp.ernet.in, bivas_mitra [AT] yahoo.com
- New (short) paper in ASONAM 2017: "Temporal Pattern of (Re)tweets Reveal Cascade Migration" with Universite catholique de Louvain and University of Namur, Belgium.
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks X (DOOCN 2017), A satellite workshop of NetSci 2017, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2017.
- New paper in MobileHCI 2017: "TapSense: Combining Self-Report Patterns and Typing Characteristics for Smartphone based Emotion Detection" with Georgia Southern University, USA.
- New poster paper in IEEE MDM 2017: "UDAT: User Discrimination using Activity-Time Information"
- New paper in IEEE MDM 2017: "Effect of Information Propagation on Business Popularity: A Case Study on Yelp"
- Offering a course on Complex Networks (CS60078) in Spring 2017.
- New (short) paper in ACM SIGSPATIAL 2016: "Unsupervised Annotated City Traffic Map Generation"
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks IX (DOOCN 2016), A satellite workshop of CCS 2016, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 2016.
- New paper in IEEE DSAA 2016: "On the Role of Mentions on Tweet Virality" with University of La Rochelle and UPMC Paris, France.
- New paper in ASONAM 2016: "Can I Foresee the Success of my Meetup Group?" with Microsoft.
- New paper in MobiSys 2016 workshop WPA: "Margdarshak: A Mobile Data Analytics based Commute Time Estimator cum Route Recommender".
- New paper in MobiSys 2016 workshop IoT of Health: "SleepSensei - An Automated Sleep Quality Monitor and Sleep Duration Estimator".
- New poster paper in ICWSM 2016: "Predicting Group Success in Meetup" with Microsoft.
- New paper in IEEE INFOCOM 2016: "UrbanEye: An Outdoor Localization System for Public Transport".
- Organizing Eighth IEEE International Workshop on Network Science for Communication Networks (NetSciCom), Jointly with IEEE INFOCOM 2016, San Fransisco, CA, USA, April 2016. Submit your paper!
- Offering a new course on Ubiquitous Computing (CS60055) in Autumn 2015.
- New paper in UbiComp 2015 workshop MCSS: "Impact of Experience Sampling Methods on Tap Pattern based Emotion Recognition" with
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks VIII (DOOCN 2015), A satellite workshop of NetSci 2015, Zaragoza, Spain, June 2015.
Poster papers in NetSci 2015. Talks in satellite workshop Networks of Networks.
- New paper in PA-KDD 2015: "Complementary usage of Tips and Reviews for Location Recommendation in Yelp" with Microsoft.
- New paper in ACM SIGCHI 2015: "ActivPass: Your Daily Activity is Your Password" with UIUC. Media coverage here.
- New paper in IKDD CODS 2015: "'Whom-to-Interact' : Does Conference Networking Boost Your Citation Count?".
- Organizing International Workshop on Machine Learning and Complex Networks (MLCN 2015) at Dept. of CSE, IIT Kharagpur, Feb-March 2015. Please register here (deadline January 15, 2015).
- New US Patent titled "Method and Apparatus for Detecting Malware and Recording Medium Thereof" with Samsung Electronics.
- New paper in COMSNETS 2015: "Aggregating Inter-App Traffic to Optimize Cellular
Radio Energy Consumption on Smartphones" with SUNY Korea.
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks VII (DOOCN 2014), A satellite workshop of ECCS 2014, Lucca, Italy, September 2014. Poster paper in ECCS 2014. Talks in satellite workshops CSS, Multiplex Networks etc.
- New paper in Network Science Journal: "Data-driven Traffic and Diffusion Modeling in Peer-to-Peer Networks: A Real Case Study" with UCL Belgium and UPMC Paris.
- Received the DAAD-IIT Faculty Exchange Fellowship to visit and collaborate with Technological University, Dresden, Germany.
- Our work "Influence of Interactions on the Evolving Citation Network" (with Soumajit Pramanik) won Best Poster Award at XRCI Open 2014, Bangalore, India.
- Received the Indo-French collaborative project "Evolving Communities and Information Spreading" to work with Dr. Jean-Loup Guillaume, Dr. Matthieu Latapy, UPMC Paris, France.
- Tutorial Speaker at the National Conference on Communications, IIT Kanpur, February 2014.
- Invited Speaker at the Workshop on Introduction to Opportunistic Mobile Networks, NIT Durgapur, January 2014.
- Tutorial Speaker at the National Systems Conference, IIT Jodhpur, December 2013.
- New paper in COMSNETS 2014: "(Stable) Virtual Landmarks: Spatial Dropbox to enhance Retail Experience".
- Received the NSF TCPP Early-Adopter Award
for Fall-13 along with Prof. Niloy Ganguly and Prof. Animesh Mukherjee.
- Our Edited Book Volume
Dynamics On and Of Complex Networks, Volume 2:
Applications to Time-Varying Dynamical Systems, Published by Birkhauser, Springer.
- Organizing Dynamics on and of Complex Networks VI (DOOCN 2013), A satellite workshop of ECCS 2013, Barcelona, Spain, September 2013.
- Open Positions: Ph.D/MS positions are available in the areas of (1) Complex networks/Social networks (mostly theoretical/analytical and real data driven research) and (2) Mobile Networks (mostly experimental research). Highly motivated candidates with strong academic background (B.E./B. Tech with high CGPA, preferably with an M.E./M.Tech in CS) are encouraged to contact for the positions (drop me a CV).
- Internship: I do not encourage students to spend their second year vacations doing summer projects. So do not expect a response from me. Third year students, if you are interested, send a mail to intern.cnergkgp [AT] gmail.com. Please do not put me in Cc, neither expect any reply. The staff responsible for that will send you a reply in due time.