AI and Ethics (CS60016)
Spring Semester 2020
Sponsored by the Google Tensorflow Award
Instructor: Animesh Mukherjee (animeshm[AT]cse[DOT]iitkgp[DOT]ac[DOT]in)
Teaching Assistant: Kalyani Roy, Binny Mathew and Abhisek Dash; Contact: email@example.com
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and the current administrative circular issued by IIT Kharagpur, AI and Ethics classes will be held in online mode through Zoom until further notices.
Class Timings: WED (10:00-10:55), THURS (09:00-09:55), FRI (11:00-11:55)
Location: Room 120, CSE
Ofice of the Instructor: Room 121, CSE
Books (I will not follow any textbook in this course! But you can use some of the books below as references)
- The Ethical Algorithm: The Science of Socially Aware Algorithm Design by Aaron Roth and Michael Kearns
- Rebooting AI: Building Artificial Intelligence We Can Trust by Ernest Davis and Gary Marcus
- Human Compatible: AI and the Problem of Control by Stuart J. Russell
- Towards a Code of Ethics for Artificial Intelligence by Paula Boddington
- Moral machines by Wendell Wallach
- AI Ethics by Mark Coeckelbergh (this book will come out by the time we have ended our semester!)
- There will be no formal attendance taken. However if i find that the class strength is dropping drastically, I shall revert to taking regular attendance.
- Term assignments. We will have groups of 5-6 people and each group will be asked to implement 2-3 research papers throughout the semester. There will be a presentation before the midsem and one before the endsem. Some of these implementations (the most professional ones can go into the TensorFlow stack -- FairTensorflow). The details of what needs to be presented will be communicated later.
Term assignment: 35%