AI and Ethics (CS60016)
Spring Semester 2021
Sponsored by the Google Tensorflow Award
Instructor: Animesh Mukherjee (animeshm[AT]cse[DOT]iitkgp[DOT]ac[DOT]in)
Teaching Assistant: Abhisek Dash, Punyajoy Saha, Souvic Chakraborty; Contact: email@example.com
Class Timings: WED (12:00-12:55), THURS (10:00-10:55), FRI (09:00-09:55)
Office of the Instructor: Room 121, CSE
Books (I will not follow any textbook in this course! But you can use some of the books below as references)
- The Ethical Algorithm: The Science of Socially Aware Algorithm Design by Aaron Roth and Michael Kearns
- Rebooting AI: Building Artificial Intelligence We Can Trust by Ernest Davis and Gary Marcus
- Human Compatible: AI and the Problem of Control by Stuart J. Russell
- Towards a Code of Ethics for Artificial Intelligence by Paula Boddington
- Moral machines by Wendell Wallach
- AI Ethics by Mark Coeckelbergh (this book will come out by the time we have ended our semester!)
- There will be no formal attendance taken. However if I find that the class strength is dropping drastically, I shall revert to taking regular attendance.
- From time to time we shall have games, quizzes and exciting guest lectures.
Course Outline (to be updated)
Continuous assessment: 60%
Term project: 40%
- Bias and Fairness in ML
- Motivation: The ProPublica case study
- Motivation: The Gender Shades case study
- Basic Definitions
- Fairness of classification algorithms: Disparate Mistreatment
- Fair Embeddings
- Content Governance
- Discrimination through optimization
- Hatespeech analysis, Counterspeech analysis, Spread of hatespeech
- Fake news detection, mis/disinformation online
- Media Bias
- Explainability and Interpretability
- Moral Machines
- Guest Lectures
- Abhijnan Chakraborty, CSE, IIT Delhi. Title: Two-Sided Fairness for Personalized Recommendations in Two-Sided Platforms.
- Nithya Sambasivan, PAIR, Google. Title: HCI for Responsible AI in the Global South.
- Scott Hale, Oxford University and Meedan. Title: Countering Misinformation with Human and Machine Intelligence.
- Vinodkumar Prabhakaran, Google. Title: NLP and Society: Towards Socially Responsible NLP.