The department is actively engaged in research activities in several up-to-date areas of computer science. In order to meet the challenges of the rapid evolutions in technology and the diversity of emerging career opportunities, the Department has identified these thrust areas:
- Algorithms and Complexity
- The Department has considerable strength in computational geometry, digital geometry, quantum computing and core areas of computational complexity theory.
- Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Processing
- Artificial Intelligence has been a major area of strength in the Department. Areas of established strength include heuristic search, deduction, machine learning, and combinatorial optimization. Recent focus includes ambient intelligence, natural language processing and formal verification.
- Embedded Systems
- The Department has played a pivotal role in developing and deploying the technology behind one of the largest telemedicine networks in the country. The Department also has considerable strength in medical imaging, digital image and video processing, and multimedia databases.
- The Department has assumed leadership capabilities in R&D on assistive learning for the physically challenged.
- Parallel and Distributed Computing
- Parallel and distributed computing is an area of emerging strength in the Department. Research facilities include multi-core and GPU servers.
- Security and Cryptography
- Security and cryptography are areas of emerging focus in the Department. The Department has facilitated the inception of a Centre of Excellence in Security Research in the institute with support from the Ministry of Defence.
- Software and Systems Engineering
- Software Engineering research has been a traditional area of strength of the Department. Systems related areas of strength include databases and networks.
- VLSI Design, Verification and Testing
- The Department is one of the world leaders in developing technology for VLSI CAD. Areas of strength include CAD for design verification and test. The Department has industrial collaborations in these areas with leading chip design and EDA companies.
Detailed research areas and associated faculty members
Algorithms PB, PPC, SG, SPP Artificial Intelligence PDG, PM, PPC, SG, SS Assistive Technology AB, SD Bioinformatics and Computational Biology PRM, SB Compilers GB, RK Complexity Theory SPP Computational Algebra/Geometry/Graph theory/Number theory AD, PB, PPD, SPP Computer Graphics JM Computer Networks AM, AP, BM, NG, SG Cryptography AD, DM, DRC, ISG Data and Text Mining PG, PM, SB Database and Knowledge-Based Systems AKM Digital Humanities PG Embedded Systems AB, AP Evolutionary Algorithms RK Formal Verification CRM, DS, PDG, PPC, SD Image and Video Processing and Computer Vision JM, PB, PPD, SB Information Retrieval PG, PM, SS Interdependent and Dynamical Networks BM Internet Technology CRM Machine Intelligence PM, SB, SS Medical Informatics AKM, JM Mobile Computing and Mobile Networks BM, ISG Multimedia Systems RK Optimization SB Parallel and Distributed Computing AG Pattern Recognition JM Programming Languages RK Quantum Information Processing SPP Real Time Systems RM Security (Data, information, and network) AKM, ISG, RSC Software Engineering RK, RM, PPD Speech and Natural Language Processing AB, PG, SS Symbolic Logic DS VLSI design and CAD Tools AKM, AP, CRM, DM, DRC, ISG, PDG, PPC, PPD, RSC, SD
Advanced VLSI Design Laboratory
Communication Empowerment Laboratory
Embedded Systems Laboratory
GM-IITKGP Collaborative Research Laboratory