Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
Kharagpur, West Bengal - 721302, India
Email: saptarshi [DOT] ghosh [AT] gmail [DOT] com,     saptarshi [AT] cse.iitkgp.ernet.in
My research involves applying the statistical tools of Complex Network Theory on various networks in the real and virtual world. I am presently working on Online Social Networks (e.g. Twitter and folksonomies such as Flickr and Delicious) and transportation networks (the Indian Railway Network) - collecting empirical data and modeling the dynamic processes going on in these networks (e.g. creation of social links by users in OSNs, traffic flow in transportation networks, community formation in folksonomies) in order to explain the structure and behaviour of these networks.
Supervisor: Prof. Niloy Ganguly
Member of Complex Network Research Group (CNeRG), Department of CSE, IIT Kharagpur
- Pursuing PhD in Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- M. Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (2007)
- B. E. (Hons.) in Computer Science and Technology, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur (formerly Bengal Engineering College) (2005)
- N. Ganguly, S. Ghosh, T. Krueger, A. Srivastava, Degree Distributions of Evolving Alphabetic Bipartite Networks and their Projections, Theoretical Computer Science, Elsevier (to appear).
- S. Ghosh, A. Srivastava, N. Ganguly, Effects of a Soft Cut-off on Node-degree in the Twitter Social Network, Computer Communications, Elsevier, vol. 35, issue 7, pp. 784--795, April 2012.
- S. Ghosh, A. Banerjee, N. Ganguly, Some Insights on the Recent Spate of Accidents in Indian Railways, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391, issue 9, pp. 2917-2929, 2012.
- S. Ghosh, A. Banerjee, N. Sharma, S. Agarwal, N. Ganguly, S. Bhattacharya, A. Mukherjee, Statistical Analysis of the Indian Railway Network: A Complex Network Approach, Acta Physica Polonica B Proceedings Supplement, vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 123-138, 2011.
- S. Ghosh, N. Sharma, F. Benevenuto, N. Ganguly, K. Gummadi, Cognos: Crowdsourcing Search for Topic Experts in Microblogs, ACM SIGIR International Conference, Portland, USA, August 2012.
- N. Sharma, S. Ghosh, F. Benevenuto, N. Ganguly, K. Gummadi, Inferring Who-is-Who in the Twitter Social Network, Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN), Helsinki, Finland, August 2012. [Highest rated paper in Workshop, fast-tracked for publication in ACM Computer Communication Review]
- A. Chakraborty, S. Ghosh, N. Ganguly, Detecting Overlapping Communities in Folksonomies, ACM International Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, June 2012 (short paper).
- S. Ghosh, B. Viswanath, F. Kooti, N. Sharma, G. Korlam, F. Benevenuto, N. Ganguly, K. Gummadi, Understanding and Combating Link Farming in the Twitter Social Network, ACM World Wide Web Conference (WWW), Lyon, France, April 2012.
- S. Ghosh, A. Srivastava and N. Ganguly, Assessing the Effects of a Soft Cut-off in the Twitter Social Network, IFIP / TC6 Networking Conference 2011, Valencia, Spain, May 2011.
- S. Ghosh, G. Korlam and N. Ganguly, Spammers' Networks within Online Social Networks: A Case-Study on Twitter, ACM World Wide Web Conference (WWW), Hyderabad, India, March-April 2011 (poster).
- S. Ghosh, P.Kane and N. Ganguly, Identifying Overlapping Communities in Folksonomies or Tripartite Hypergraphs, ACM World Wide Web Conference (WWW), Hyderabad, India, March-April 2011 (poster).
- S. Ghosh, G. Korlam and N. Ganguly, The Effects of Restrictions on Number of Connections in OSNs: A Case-Study on Twitter, Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN), Boston, USA, June, 2010.
- S. Ghosh and P. Mitra, Combining Content and Structure Similarity for XML Document Classification using Composite SVM Kernels, International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Florida, USA, 2008.
- Honorable Mention Awards at the Yahoo Key Scientific Challenge 2011 and 2012
- Second prize at the Microsoft TechVista 2011 PhD Poster Competition (link to event)
Last updated: September 2012